Why Women Should Be Preaching the Easter Sermon

Jesus said to her, “Mary.”

She turned toward him and cried out in Aramaic, “Rabboni!” (which means “Teacher”).

Jesus said, “Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’”

Mary Magdalene went to the disciples with the news: “I have seen the Lord!” And she told them that he had said these things to her. (John 20:16-18.)

Preach the resurrected Christ, women, preach.

15 Responses to Why Women Should Be Preaching the Easter Sermon

1. Jeannie Prinsen says:

I couldn’t agree more, Tim. We are going to have some kind of drama, “Mary at the Tomb,” on Sunday and I’m really excited about that. Last year our pastor talked about different disciples and how they responded to the news of Jesus’ resurrection. He used the analogy (and a picture) of people jumping from a bridge/cliff into the water to talk about this: e.g. Peter’s reluctance after his betrayal, John’s eagerness, etc. Our pastor is a great preacher and a great person …. BUT …. no female disciples were mentioned. I wanted to say afterward “The women were already IN the water. They were way ahead of the men.” I don’t say that to be negative or critical, just that the women so often get missed because they were not among Jesus’ 12 disciples. Women have always had to find another way to experience/get close to Jesus … and He always makes a way for them!!

The upcoming drama sounds intriguing, Jeannie. And that idea that women had to find ways to get close to Jesus throughout his ministry sounds like it could make for a good blog post. Any chance you’d like to take a stab at it and see about running it as a guest post here?

• Jeannie Prinsen says:

I will definitely think about that, Tim – thanks! The idea itself just came to me as I was writing my comment.

• KarenR says:

And I love your statement “…and he always makes a way for them.”

2. Rebecca W says:

Awesome. 🙂

3. Trish Townsend says:

Thank you, Tim! I love this! It was life-giving to me when I realized that Jesus appeared first to a woman after the resurrection. He gives women so much value and legitimacy and dignity in doing so. I also wrote about Mary Magdalene on my blog this week, and you’re the second blogger I’ve seen who has also written about her! Thank you so much!!! If anyone wants to read my post, they can find it here: http://hopedwellers.com/easter-from-the-eyes-of-a-woman/

4. Sarah Bowler says:

I love the idea of a woman preaching the Easter sermon…especially in light of Mary Magdalene being the first proclaimer of Christ’s resurrection. But I wonder if it’s too far of a stretch to say Jesus was commanding Mary to “preach” or to say that she was giving a sermon to the disciples when she announced Christ was risen. How would you define preach and sermon?

Modern sermonizing is something that has evolved over the years. Some churches do what they call homilies and they are a far cry from what you hear in a sermon in an Evangelical church setting. For me, whenever I hear someone say gospel truth (and you don’t get much more gospel than announcing the resurrection) I want to shout out “Preach!” So I’d call that a sermon even if it’s not 30 minutes long with three points with an application at the end.

5. Cathy Haase says:

Jesus took the time to speak to the woman at the well, He commended the woman who anointed him the week before His burial, He comforted the women who wept for Him as He carried the cross, He spoke to His mother and made provision for her while in deepest agony on the cross and He trusted a woman to announce His resurrection. In a culture that only valued women for their ability to produce offspring, and lug the water, Jesus stood out as one who really understood and appreciated women leaving a godly example to all in the male-dominated culture of His day.

6. Angie says:

Ah, you’re right. Jesus is a good example to follow.

7. Muff Potter says:

Amen and Amen again Tim. All the men in Jesus’ band lit out and holed up. Fearful of the Roman Military patrols and their own skins. It was women who first told the world “He is Risen”.

8. Ruth says:

Great post Tim, really gives women a voice when this topic is approached in a positive way. We went to our son’s baptism on Easter Sunday. It was wonderful! Women organising, serving, doing communion and speaking with a clearly equal role. Then the sermon. Wonderful inclusion of women in the Easter story, positive comments and teaching from the speaker, affirming and encouraging all women. Best I’ve heard in a church in years. The interesting part.
    This was a Catholic Church named Resurrection, and the suburb given. There was a wonderful cross above the altar with a robed, risen Christ with His arms out stretched, just glorious. My soon to be daughter-in-law is from a very traditional Vietnamese catholic family who take their faith very seriously, and yet, this pending marriage has united newer catholic beliefs with ‘Protestant’ ones to bring my son closer to the Lord. The priest is a heart felt lovely man who just radiates his love of Christ. So there it is, my Easter time and a fresh meeting with my Lord. I have told my son and his fiancée I would like to visit there with them and asked them to come to our church sometimes too. They were delighted with this idea. God sure does throw some wonderful gifts to us from everywhere but straight ahead!

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

w