Bullying Countermeasures

I posted this on Facebook and Twitter and it generated comments from people who told their stories of being bullied. Perhaps by posting it here it will help others who are suffering or are looking for ways to help.

[Jesus] stood up to read and the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him. Unrolling it, he found the place where it is written:

“The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.” (Luke 4:16-19.)

7 Responses to Bullying Countermeasures

1. Kathy Heisleman says:

Oh this is lovely!

2. Headless Unicorn Guy says:

“You can’t appease a bully. To a bully, appeasement is a sign of weakness. Bullies exploit weakness.”

That also holds for aggressive predators. Think of a Jurassic Park Velociraptor:
    “PREY IS WEAK! CHASE AND KILL! CHASE AND KILL! KILL! KILL! KILL!”

Acting “civilized and reasonable” to them?
    May as well parade your Vegan Pacifism before Kzinti.

3. Jeannie Prinsen says:

So encouraging, Tim. “Just be a nice Christian and take it” is not appropriate advice. And it’s so important to remind all of us to advocate for others when we see them being abused. Just knowing that they are seen could make all the difference.

• “Just be a nice Christian and take it”…

Or “forgive and move on”, or any other of the stupid cliches christians seem to trot out in order to avoid having to actually confront and deal with bullying and abuse 😦

• Pastor Bob says:

“Turn the other cheek has been wrenched out of context to FORCE pacifism on so many. It may work, but rarely.

4. Anu Riley says:

I think Brother Tim’s guidelines are wonderful. They provide a great starting point and a lot of food for thought. I’m not sure how effective they will be in the real world, but something is better than nothing for sure.

I would be happy to listen to anyone’s story about their experiences as a child or an adult, and I will share mine in return if that will help.

If you are currently being bullied in your marriage or any situation in general and need prayer, please ask! Again, we have to start somewhere, and seeking the Lord is never a bad idea.

And don’t minimize the effects of bulling. I will say that some people may have thicker skin, so name calling or verbal put downs slide on their backs, but that not how the Bible sees it. Regardless of “zen” reactions, the Word make it clear that words hurt, and they bring a curse or a blessing.

Regardless of how bullying may or may not bother you—it’s still wrong and needs to called out and deal with. Bullies are NOT to be groomed as the future leaders of our nation and world. They do not exemplify what a leaders should be. They lack empathy and a respect for the intrinsic worth of EVERY human being. Do not encourage or condone their behavior.

I don’t believe in humiliating bullies to be honest. I don’t appreciate “giving it back” in return. Humiliation doesn’t teach anyone humility. I just believe they need to be rebuked and shown the door if they refuse to change.

• Pastor Bob says:

“I don’t believe in humiliating bullies to be honest.”
      “…they need to be rebuked and shown the door if they refuse to change.”

The first, they are not humiliated so much as forced to retreat. Maybe they have been humbled, most likely not. Usually they will look for an easier target.

The second, too simple. They could “return,” so a reason needs to be provided to prevent that.

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )