On Writing, Grammar, and the Greatness of God (along with a few other thoughts)

Random thoughts I’ve had this past week or so:

• A question for everyone who wants to abolish “whom” – will you agree to do without him and her as well?
  • Some of us write because if we said the things we were thinking out loud we’d get punched in the mouth.
  • Just because the Bible’s hard to understand at times doesn’t mean it’s nonsense.
  • I read a harsh reply to a comment I made on a blog and thought “Oh no, someone on the internet doesn’t like me!” Then I thought “Hahahahahaha!”
  • Stop trying to be great for God. The greatness of God himself is in you right now!
  • I’m an overexplainer. And what I mean by overexplainer is …

What are some random thoughts you’ve been having?

16 Responses to On Writing, Grammar, and the Greatness of God (along with a few other thoughts)

My favourite is the “Someone on the internet doesn’t like me” one. After all, isn’t that when you know you’ve arrived.

My random thought today was how important it is to learn the difference between “mislead” and “misled.” I saw a headline that said “Canadian public mislead on Northern Gateway Pipeline” and I thought “Well, I didn’t mislead anyone so don’t tar us all with one brush….”

2. Tuija says:

Then again – if we write the things that would get us a punch in the mouth, and publish those thoughts – we get the internet equivalent of the punch, i.e. “someone doesn’t like me”…?

One of my random thoughts lately: how to translate the word “ministry” into Finnish, in the sense that Oxford Dictionary defines as “The spiritual work or service of any Christian or a group of Christians.” We don’t have a separate word like ‘ministry’ in Finnish. It’s just ‘work’ or ‘service’. Children’s ministry = working with children. “We have a special ministry to [insert group of people]” = we work with/among [insert group of people], or we serve [insert group of people].
    And my random thought, continued from this, was wondering whether this lack of a special, ‘spiritualized’ word somehow affects the way we think of ministry and ministering to others. I don’t know. I bet Finns are just as tempted to fall into spiritual pride (“I’m so special because I work/serve”) as any other people.

I tend to like the word service because of its relation to servant, the calling we have in Christ. Then again, the word ministry has taken on over-spiritualized connotations here in the States and perhaps that’s why I tend not to use it much.

• Yes, Tim, I think you’re quite right. Sometimes words develop such over-spiritualised connotations that we can hear and say them without even really understanding them anymore. Outside of the spiritual sphere, I also doubt that any of our government’s ministries (of education, finances, etc.) or the ministers heading them see themselves as working for and serving the people of our country. In this political context, it seems that “ministry” and “minister” mostly indicate people in high and honourable positions, who need to be served, rather than the other way round! May we never reach that extent when we think of ministries and ministers in the church! Or have we…? Or am I now coming dangerously close to the slippery slope of over-explaining? ;0)

3. Laura says:

“I’m an overexplainer. And what I mean by overexplainer is …” Me? No… ; )

Overexplainers of the world unite! (And what I mean by unite is …)

• Ruth says:

Didyou by any chance include me in the over explainer category? If not let me try to help you understand my explanation better……. Haha…..gotcha…..no details available. Phew says Tim, she’s quiet (for now!)

4. caramac54 says:

“Oh no, so and so doesn’t like me!” Oh wait ….hahahahhahahahhaha! That I love!

5. EricaM says:

“Someone on the Internet doesn’t like me!” I’m filing this with “I can’t go to bed! Someone on the Internet is wrong!”

6. I like “Just because the Bible’s hard to understand at times doesn’t mean it’s nonsense.” If one pauses to think about it, the Bible and its message would be suspect if we were able to understand all of it with ease. If the God of the Bible is the Almighty, Ineffable, Lord of Hosts who inhabits inapproachable light (as He clearly is and I believe), one would expect some difficulty when trying to understand Him (or even just get to know Him) from our fallen, twisted, limited human framework. I praise Him for stepping down into our world to live, suffer, and die (and rise!) so we could at least begin to recognise our Heavenly Father in his face and stumble into his embrace as He makes us his true children!

Great point, Manie. I can’t even understand by own children, people I’ve known since before they were born. Why would I expect knowing God to be easy? I’m glad that the real blessing is that he knows me completely and loves me eternally.

7. GQ says:

Abolishing “him” and “her”? Please clarify which “him” and “her”. There are several hims and hers I could do without. Or should that be, “without I could do”?