3 Top Tips for Christian Dating

We watched a lot of game shows at my house when I was a kid, and one we never missed was The Dating Game, hosted by Jim Lange. Mr. Lange passed away this week, but his show is etched in the memory of my generation.

The show’s format was simple: One person (usually a woman) on one side of a wall trying to choose a date from among three people (identified only as Bachelors 1, 2 and 3) on the other side of the wall, sight unseen with only her questions and their answers to guide her choice. One lucky bachelor would then get to take her on a date, all paid for by the show.

It wasn’t as racy as today’s reality romance shows, but it was a hoot. You never knew who would show up, and sometimes you got a look at people who were going to go on to bigger and better things. Here’s a clip with a very young Farrah Fawcett. Just wait until you see where they send her and her bachelor on their date.

Dating and the Will of God

I worked in youth ministry for years and saw a lot of kids dating each other. Some of those teen romances even led to marriage, but not most. If the kids ever wondered how to discern the will of God for dating, I’d give them three points:

1. Are you thinking about Jesus or your boyfriend/girlfriend? (Hebrews 12:1-2.)
  2. Do the things you want to do together build your relationship with God? (1 Corinthians 10:31.)
  3. Are you having any fun? (Psalm 16:11.)

These are simple points, but if some thought goes into them I think kids (and adults) would have fewer questions about whether they are following the Spirit of Christ in their relationships.

8 Responses to 3 Top Tips for Christian Dating

Great clip! FF was so lovely, wasn’t she: a true star. But man, that would be a stressful way to date. đŸ™‚

Can you imagine the stories those three guys told after she became a star?

• Aimee Byrd says:

Oh wow, that must be the party conversation for the rest of their lives! Good tips on dating, Tim. An area that my daughters will be thinking of soon, even though Matt is still holding out for the “wait till your 30” prospect.

I’ve subscribed to the “wait till you’re 30” prospect too, Aimee. My daughter’s 21, gorgeous, smart, talented and funny, and except for a few formals where she’s needed an escort/date she still hasn’t dated. Hmm, maybe she’ll wait until she’s 30 after all!

2. caramac54 says:

How much did I love this clip? LET ME COUNT THY WAYS.

Seriously, right? That staged fight, the bemused look on Farrah’s face, Jim Lange getting to explain that skiing is a fast growing sport. What a hoot!

3. I simply want to mention I am all new to stuff like this and seriously liked this blog.