The Impossibility of Living the Christian Life

The Christian life is not difficult.

The Christian life is not complicated.

The Christian life is impossible.

That’s why we need someone to live it through us, Jesus.

Jeremy White
Valley Church (Vacaville, CA)

7 Responses to The Impossibility of Living the Christian Life

1. Mary Anne says:

Reminds me of Chesterton’s remark about how “the Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried.” Or how C.S. Lewis wrote that in every Christian’s struggle against chronic sins and temptations, the time comes when one must turn to the Lord and say, “You must do this. I can’t.”

I was thinking of Chesterton’s quote too, MA. And thanks for that great advice from Lewis; he sure got that one right. I think the point form all three quotes is that we are to rest in Jesus living through us rather than trying to live the life ourselves. (John 15.)

2. Rob Grayson says:

Great quote. And one which perfectly points up the irony of so many western Christians who basically want to use Christianity as a way to achieve “success” (in finance, career, ministry, or whatever).

Right, Rob, as if the Bible were a self-help book or something.

• Rob Grayson says:

Exactly. It’s amazing how many believers seem to view it in precisely that way.

(By the way, do you ever feel like a stuck record…? Going against the grain can be a lonely business.)

Whenever I get the feeling of being a stuck record, Rob, I remember Paul’s statement that he preaches Christ and him crucified. That passage always makes me think he must have felt the same way, but he kept on going with the one message that rally matters, the good news of the gospel. Not a bad example to follow, eh?

• Rob Grayson says:

Very good, Tim. Yes, I guess it all comes down to which record we get stuck on 🙂