The Simple Trick To Making Water Flow Uphill

Water always fills the lowest places first. The lower, the emptier a man lies before God, the speedier and the fuller the inflow of the divine glory will be.

Andrew Murray, Humility
(Quoted at Laura Martin’s Enough Light)

Water Flows Downhill?

If water flows downhill, how would Andrew Murray explain this?

Wait a sec … why is the pump at that odd angle … and her hips too? Could this possibly be a piece of old fashioned trick photography? This article explains the water trick and more. You start with a building that is angled on the ground, but the angle is hidden from people by clever landscaping, pathways and décor. People inside the building think everything is on the level, but the outside view would be very different:

“From our vantage point [viewing from outside the building] we see the water flowing normally down a slight incline and spilling naturally from the spout. Inside the room, things are getting stranger and stranger.  To visitors it looks as if  gravity is leaking out of the room. They watch in amazement as water flows uphill and pours out of the spout at an eerie, unnatural angle.”

So that woman in the first picture is actually in an angled building. If we saw it from a bit farther back we’d clearly see water doing what water does, flowing downhill.

Don’t Stick Up Out Of The Water

The people of Babel wanted to stick out and be noticed. They wanted to stick out so much that they were willing to put everything they had into building a tower tall enough to be seen by everyone on earth. They wanted to rival God. They failed, of course, because God knew their hearts and put a stop to it. (Genesis 11:1-9.)

It’s like Andrew Murray said above. The way to experience God’s divine glory is not by trying to get so high up that you reach the heavens. It’s by being immersed in the living water Jesus offers, water that fills you to overflowing and never stops.

Jesus answered, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” (John 4:13-14.)

Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, “Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.” By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive. (John 7:37-39.)

Are you trying to stand knee-deep in the living water? It’s not possible, really. Jesus says that his people are inundated with that water. Still, some people live as if they are trying to stand up tall out of the water, like the Tower of Babel standing up from the banks of the Euphrates.

But God’s glory is not found in standing tall. It’s found in Christ.

Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up. (James 4:10.)

Let God lift you, let him fill you up. That’s the way to stand tall.

16 Responses to The Simple Trick To Making Water Flow Uphill

1. Laura says:

Good post Tim! Yes, let God lift you up. We get it backwards so often. And glad my Andrew Murray book review gave you the idea. Thanks for the shout out.

We can’t stand on our own, that’s for sure. Yet being engulfed in the Living Water raises us higher than we could ever imagine. God works great things!

2. Sarah Beals says:

Tim, Humility is one of my all time favorite books. It’s online free, in case anyone hasn’t read it. Andrew Murray is so insightful and although his book is like a kick in the stomach to me as I read it, I know it’s what I need.

Back when I wrote Bible studies I used Murray’s quotes quite a bit as thought-provokers. I haven’t read one of his books yet. Perhaps Humility is the one I should start with.

3. You’re reminding me of childhood visits to Calico, CA. What fun that wacky house was!

God makes the waters of circumstance rise till we’re out of our depth and need to rely on Him.

Great way to look at the flood God brings upon us, Ellen. And for us, our California stops for these places were Trees of Mystery near Klamath and Mystery Spot near Santa Cruz. Hokey but fun!

• Never did go to the Mystery Spot in Santa Cruz even though I went to university at UCSC. Guess I got enough of it in childhood. I guess I was too busy drinking coffee, writing papers and wandering around in my own personal wilderness. Good thing God kept on my tail!

We have Spook Hill in Berkittsville, MD. You stop your car at the “bottom” and put in in neutral, and you are seemingly drifting uphill. It is pretty creepy. Of course, the legend is that it’s the soldiers pushing your car b/c they think it is a canon. I guess those who believe in ghosts of this sort also think they’re dumb.
    “But God’s glory is not found in standing tall. It’s found in Christ.” Amen, and good words.

I saw articles on those gravity hill places when I was researching how these tourist traps work for the article. Creepy is right, but only until you see the explanation.

I like that dumb ghost soldier explanation for the believers in these places, too.

5. Still, some people live as if they are trying to stand up tall out of the water, like the Tower of Babel standing up from the banks of the Euphrates. “I fear I am often one of those.

Great book usually the first book I turn to if mentoring someone and take them through it. For if one truly cannot grasp the concepts that Murray presents in his book, which Paul presents through the N.T. Especially in Philippians chapter 2 then one will struggle infinitely in one’s walk with Christ. Not that one does not already but it will surely be harder.

As a result have read the book countless times and each time I get a new point out of it.

Thanks Tim

I’ve been thinking about humility a lot lately, Tim, for reasons I won’t go into. I appreciate your post today and I think the Tower of Babel concept is especially interesting!

7. Laruspress says:

I cannot understate the timely personal relevance of this post in spiritual terms. Thanks Tim. Always you enable readers to look at new perspectives to their own situations.