When God Whistles, Look Out!

Aimee Byrd posted on Facebook: There’s nothing like a song with some good whistling in it: “Don’t Worry, Be Happy,” Andy Griffith, Jack Johnson’s new “I Got You,” “Patience,” “Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard”…

So I commented that Otis Redding’s Sittin’ on the Dock of the Bay has one of the most memorable whistles ever when it fades at the end.

(Did you know that Otis wrote and recorded that song shortly before he died in a plane crash in 1967? It was the first posthumous single to top the charts in the US.)

A More Memorable Whistle

But the most memorable whistle ever must be the one recorded in Isaiah 7:18-19.

In that day the Lord will whistle for flies from the Nile delta in Egypt and for bees from the land of Assyria. They will all come and settle in the steep ravines and in the crevices in the rocks, on all the thornbushes and at all the water holes.

So when the Lord whistles for attention, flies and bees from east and west come quickly.

For me, I think there may have been times when he was whistling at me, because there have been some times when I haven’t been all that ready to listen to him. I’m glad he’ll do whatever it takes to keep me with him.

How do you respond when God calls for your attention?

9 Responses to When God Whistles, Look Out!

1. Bronwyn Lea says:

I had never before noticed that God whistles for flies. I love that imagery! My mom had a distinctive whistle she used for getting our attention in crowded places. Even though there were 500 people around, we could pick out her whistle. May my ears be as finely tuned for God’s whistle (in the daughterly, and not the insect, sense)

My mom had a whistle as well. When we were out playing in the neighborhood, she could stand at the front door and let go with a loud unique little tune. We’d hear her and know it was time to head home.

2. Kathleen says:

Yikes for Otis Redding. I’ve always loved that song, but now putting the words with his untimely death is quite a wake up call! Am I sitting on the dock of the bay wasting time, whistling my own tune all the while God is calling me….If flys and bees drop their busyness to answer, why aren’t I?

Wow, Tim, you can write about anything!

4. Mary Anne says:

“How do you respond when God calls for your attention?”

These days, it seems more like I’m trying to get His attention . . .

5. Mary Anne says:

Sorry, but I’m one of those unfortunates who can’t whistle . . . 8-(

If you were here we could hum a few bars together!

• Mary Anne says:

*snorfle* If only I were more like Lauren Bacall and I could saunter around with that nonchalant glamour and purr, “You know how to whistle, don’t you?” And to think she was only nineteen in that film—boy, if I’d been like that at nineteen, how different my life would be.Better? I don’t know, but different . . .

So, what shall we hum? Times like, I think of something I read about how hymn titles would be if we were really honest, e.g. “I Surrender Some” or “Take My Life And Leave Me Be” or “Surly The Cross I’d Bear.”