LSNED is One of My Favorite Words!

I love LSNED.

No, I did not misspell the word “lends”, although I do like it when someone lends me a hand, lends me an ear, or lends me a tenner.

LSNED reminds me that I Learn Something New Every Day.

Like the fact that people throw Mad Men Birthday Parties. I learned that today.

Mad Men PartyAnd I have my friend Ellen Painter Dollar to thank for it. Thanks Ellen! (And good luck trying to get that image out of our heads now.)

Then there are those things I’ve learned over the years, much of which is just as useless as stumbling across that pic above. For example:

Blue moons are real: They are the second full moon in one calendar month, and that doesn’t happen all that often.

You might have already known that, but did you know that some years have two blue moons while others have none? 2012 even had back to back blue moon months, August and September.

All right, maybe you already knew that too, but did you know that once in a blue moon can also be expressed as 1.16699016 × 10-8 hertz? I have no idea what that means, but that’s what Google showed me when I searched the phrase “once in a blue moon”.

It’s spelled extravert, not extrovert: When Carl Jung popularized the phrases introversion and extraversion, that’s how he spelled them (and he ought to know!).

Changing the fifth letter from a to o came later, mostly from people who didn’t bother to learn their a’s from their o’s. It’s an “alteration influenced by introvert”, and after all who can blame those people for being influenced thusly. Everyone knows extraverts wish they were more like us introverts and if a little thing like changing an a to an o makes them feel better, well let them have at it.

James = Jacob: The original Latin was Jacobus, so it’s easy to see how it traces back to Jacob (thanks Beth Moore for pointing this out to me). What’s not so easy to see is how it ended up as James in English. I suppose we can blame the Italians for introducing the letter m in their version of the name, Giacomo.

Now imagine you lived in Nazareth about 2000 years ago and one of the town’s family’s named their sons Joshua and Jacob. You can imagine that the neighbors thought those parents had high hopes for their children.  So when Jesus (the same name as Old Testament Joshua) and his brother James (named for Jacob, also known as Israel) were growing up, I wonder how many of the other families kept a close eye on them to see how they’d turn out.

Nothing New Under the Sun, But So Much to Learn

Even though I seem to LSNED, the Bible tells us that there is nothing new under the sun. So how can I learn something new each day?

It’s because, as John pointed out, there’s so much to learn about God that there aren’t enough books in the world to hold it all. But we have the Book that tells us what we need to know, and I haven’t yet found the person who has mastered every bit of information in it.

For me, I find that whenever I open up the Bible I learn something new. It might be something new about God, new about me, or new about the world he has created, and sometimes it’s all three.

LSNED. Works for me.

13 Responses to LSNED is One of My Favorite Words!

1. nmcdonal says:

Fascinating factoids…how do you ensure that you learn something new every day, Tim?

It’s not so much ensuring, Nick, as finding that new stuff just gets thrown my way all the time. Think about it: can you really help but learn something new every day, even if it’s not all that memorable sometimes?

2. janehinrichs says:

Great facts Tim….Thanks.

Thanks Tim, for all these interesting tidbits and for the reminder that we’re always learning, growing, & becoming.

I am so glad for the ministry of the Holy Spirit in teaching me, growing me, and causing me to become the person God wants me to be.

Learning is really a blessing. Thanks for setting up God’s Word in such a creative, interesting way. You had me at LSNED!

5. Bronwyn Lea says:

Yesterday I learned that goats usually have two babies at a time (I am not kidding). This morning I learned that a rolling jail is called a paddy wagon…. And also that there is a great acronym for learning something new everyday!

Did you also learn that “Paddy Wagon” is a phrase falling into disfavor? The etymology of “Paddy” is from the Irish nickname for Patrick. The wagons got so named out of a discriminatory and prejudiced notion that they were filled with drunk Irishmen. In essence, they were labeled as the wagons that Paddy rode in when he got out of hand on a Saturday night. See, LSNED never stops!

• Bronwyn Lea says:

Oh dear: another unintentional slur. I wonder if the “knick knack paddy whack give a dog a bone” had similar pejorative origins for Irishmen? With the “rolling home” et al?

6. Pingback: The Wedding Bell Blues – the way a music video should be done | Tim's Blog – Just One Train Wreck After Another

7. extrovert is not real?? I feel so lied to by people now! I’m an extravert then? Even the spell check thinks it is really “extrovert” . . .
    I should really be reading the book of Jacob, not James then?

I’ve known people who have given Mad Men parties. . .too bad that show is so perverse. ::sigh ::