How Would You Like To Become A Jane Austen Character?

Oxford Dictionaries has posted one of the easiest and best Jane Austen Q&A’s yet. Rather than test your knowledge of her novels, it merely asks you to pick from a selection of statements and then it tells you which character you are. The character descriptions at the end of the little test are a hoot too. Plus, it allows you to see which male character and which female character you are most like. Bonus!

I came out as Charles Bingley from Pride and Prejudice, with this description appended: “You’re never the cleverest or wittiest person in the room (sorry!), but you’re always the nicest, with a kind word to say for everyone.” Lovely sentiments, but I don’t think anyone who knows me would actually describe me that way.

And when taken for a female character, I come across as Lady Catherine de Bourgh (also of P&P)?! Sheesh!

Seriously, I know I’m John Knightley (from Emma) to the core.

Who are you?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to How Would You Like To Become A Jane Austen Character?

1. What a great and amuzing question was not sure who I would be but after taking test ended up being Fitzwilliam Darcy.

Thanks for the smile!

2. Deanna Ratz says:

Elizabeth Bennet…Though Elizabeth is my favorite character in Pride and Prejudice, I always thought my personality was more like Jane’s, I am not quite as witty and outspoken as Elizabeth!

3. Bronwyn Lea says:

I’m mrs Bennett!!!!!! (Jk)

I come out as Anne Elliot from Persuasion. I’ve done some of these quizzes before and I inevitably end up as Elinor Dashwood from S&S, so this is interesting. But basically yeah, I’m the sensible, dependable type of perzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 🙂

Tim, I do think the “kind word for everyone” part is true of you.

5. Jaimie says:

Marianne Dashwood and Edmund Bertram. Having never read Mansfield Park, I don’t know how accurate the second is, and to the first, I don’t think so! Some dear friends, well-familiar with the books and characters of Jane Austen, recently compared me with Jane Bennett. That is the character I am most like, I believe.

(Look how my writing changed after taking that quiz… oh dear.)

6. Anonymous says:

In my younger years, I was Jane Bennett. Now I’m too old to care what anyone thinks of me, and too nice to be Lady Catherine. That leaves me with Marianne Dashwood. I’ve already had to dump a guy who was a scoundrel, so I’m halfway there. Now I need to practice my piano and fall in love with a wealthy landowner who has admired me from afar.

7. Anonymous says:

Actually, I’m 100% Emma Woodhouse, except a bit older…or “bolder” as I like to say.

8. Adriana says:

I can’t believe it. This is the second test that says I’m Marianne Dashwood. She’s so exasperating! I’d like to think I CAN be sensible. I suppose Marianne does mellow out a bit in the end. As Shmoop.com says, “she’s certainly wrapped a good, thick insulating layer of sense around her raw, emotional core by the end of the novel.” That’s a good goal for me to strive for!

9. Adriana says:

Oh my goodness! I just took the test as a man — and I can’t stop laughing! That was . . .um, weird! I’ve never taken a test as a man before and IT WAS REALLY HARD! I’m Darcy! oh my . .. 🙂

10. Jan Thompson says:

That was fun! Turns out I’m both Darcy & Liz. Didn’t expect that! How very odd. Now sure how you, or anyone, could be Bingley and Lady Catherine at the same time, but then… stranger things have happened on ROP, like the dissection of the durians!

11. Linda Fern says:

Oh, my goodness! The test nailed me and I didn’t think it was possible – Anne Elliot. What really touched my heart is this first sentence: “Don’t worry if you think you missed an opportunity in life – you’ll find out that second chances do exist.” And I am counting very heavily on those ‘second chances’!! So, thanks, for posting, Tim, you made my day!

Yrs aff’ly,
    Linda Fern from Pemberley

12. Robert Martin says:

Edmond Bertrand… having never read ANY Jane Austen, don’t know what that really means…

• Adriana says:

I don’t know much about Edmond Bertrand either, Robert, but I’m glad you’ve joined in on the fun. 🙂

Edmund Bertram is the younger son of Sir Thomas Bertram, a wealthy baronet. Edmund is astute, smart and level-headed. Except where women are concerned. And he is always kind. Except when he’s a bit thoughtless. He turns out OK in the end.

13. jenmuse says:

Oh dear, I need a slap upside the head! When I selected male, I got Edmund Bertram! Thankfully I scored as Anne Elliot when I choose female. Thanks for the diversion!

14. Mary Anne says:

Marianne Dashwood and Captain Wentworth—pretty accurate as far as temperament goes. Though I’ll happily put up with being Marianne if it means I’ll someday be married to Colonel Brandon . . . *g*

15. Arielle says:

I was Elizabeth and Darcy- the whole coin.

16. I just finished reading P&P, so I had to come back and take this quiz! My male character was Mr. Darcy. I can’t complain 🙂