School Tells Teen Mom, “Nobody Puts Baby in the Yearbook!”

This young mother worked hard to graduate high school early while caring for her newborn son.

“I picked my son because he’s helped me be a better person,” Tiller told Yahoo! Shine. “By having him, I grew up quickly but I learned how to be responsible.”

You’d never know it by looking in the school yearbook though. The administration said students could bring something that represents who they are. Apparently a graduating senior’s newborn does not count.

On April 12, two days before the yearbooks went to press, Tiller received a call from the school’s yearbook adviser. “She said I had to take a different photo because the one I took promoted teen pregnancy,” said Tiller. “They called on my son’s birthday so I said I wasn’t available and besides, I choose Leelin because he represented what I’ve achieved in life. I said if Leelin can’t be in the photo, then I won’t be either. The adviser said, ‘That’s your choice. Then you won’t be in the yearbook’ and hung up on me.”

Her photo promoted teen pregnancy? Sure it did. I bet there were a bunch of kids who would have seen it and thought, “If only I had a baby, then I could have held it in my arms for my yearbook photo!”

Being Held in the Arms of Everlasting Love

One of the amazing things about our relationship with God is that he is with us wherever we go, whether it’s a photo shoot or a trip to the mall* or work or play. Wherever we are, there he is with us. The Spirit of Christ is with us forever and always.

And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. (John 14:16-17.)

No authority can ever separate us from our God:

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:35, 38-39.)

So the next time someone tries to get you to give up what is most precious, your relationship with God, remember that they don’t have the authority to tell you what to do.

*If you want to know how much fun going to the mall can be, watch this short video**.

**10,000 interwebz to everyone who can identify the source of that awesome music video.

14 Responses to School Tells Teen Mom, “Nobody Puts Baby in the Yearbook!”

Well, considering your & my exchange last week about Kitty Shcherbatsky in Anna Karenina, I am assuming (from my extensive research) that this is Robin Scherbatsky from How I Met Your Mother, although I’ve never watched that show. I had to get on this one right away because I really want some interwebz…

Boo to those school administrators. Hiding the truth — especially a truth that everybody KNOWS already!! — makes no sense.

2. michellevl says:

Bulls’ eye. As both a former foster mom, and the parent of a daughter who became a mother just weeks after she turned 20, my first thought when I saw the pic was, “What courage this young mom has demonstrated in her life by (a) giving birth instead of choosing abortion, (b) making the tough choice to parent her baby, (c) finishing high school so out of sync with her prom-going, mall-shopping teen peers. I know from personal experience that there is a hard, hard story behind that brave and beautiful picture.

Then I read the story accompanying the pic and was stunned by the wrong-headed response of the school’s authorities. Grrrrrrrrr. I’m glad the young mom has received lots of support and encouragement as a result of the story making its way `round the net. And I pray that she senses the care of her heavenly Father for her and her baby as she continues to parent, grow and learn beyond high school.

Wrong-headed is right, Michelle. I hope the administrators take a lesson from that young mom on how to handle responsibilities the right way.

3. This was really a wonderful post. It is sad that the girl was told her photo couldn’t even be in the yearbook. Sure she may have made a big mistake in having premarital sex, but she also kept her baby and it helped build her character and give her responsibility. I don’t think that it would have promoted teen pregnancy. I can understand people’s concerns for it, but the truth is, it could also be a great way to show those who MIGHT get pregnant that their babies can become a very important part of their life and to embrace motherhood rather than abort, etc. I think what bothers me the most about this event is that out of all the photos taken, hers was probably the only one that showed an important relationship that helped her. How many of these people might have baseball bats or One Direction posters or something to that extent – things of material or idolatry, etc? May she be drawn towards Christ through everything. I am sure she’s received a lot of rejection and I hope she can be built up in Him!

I love that we are important to God. We matter. We are His prized creation. He loves us. To be committed to Him and live for Him is something that we definitely can never allow anyone to take from us!

Yeah, that excuse about promoting teen pregnancy is just a knee-jerk reaction with absolutely zero analysis and thought behind it. I think the administrators just didn’t like the fact that they’d have a yearbook showing one of the students had a baby.

4. SJBeals says:

When I was in nursing school, there was a married woman who was pregnant and showing that the school would not allow to be photographed with the group at the nurses pinning for the yearbook. I still bristle at the memory of that.

It’s amazing that people with the administrative wherewithal to run a nursing school can be so doltish about their students’ lives.

5. I expect the photo would have been more a deterrent than promotion of teen sex. Some people just don’t ‘get’ what love is. The young mom did! Hope she had family support – she certainly didn’t get it from school. What courage and integrity. I hope her parents are ‘proud’ of her.

Deterrent is right, Sarah. I doubt there are many who would look at the photo and say, “If only … .” She did show a lot of integrity and courage, you’re right.

6. Pingback: Saturday Celebration – Happy Half Birthday! | Tim's Blog – Just One Train Wreck After Another

7. Pingback: Half A Birthday List Is Better Than None | Tim's Blog – Just One Train Wreck After Another