Annette Funicello Didn’t Mickey Mouse Around

Annette Funicello, an original Mouseketeer, has passed away. I still get a smile when I think of her – along with Darlene, Cubby, Bobby, Uncle Roy and the rest – calling our her name at the start of the show. I only saw it in re-runs in the 60s, but that M-I-C-K-E-Y song is a vivid part of my childhood memory.

Annette!

She was funny and cute, a talented singer and actor who built a career on her abilities. Her movies might take us back to a simpler time, but I have to say that I wouldn’t want to go back to those days. The simpler times in her movies were just that, simpler in the movies. Real life in the 50s and 60s had its own problems – government approved sexism and racism, to name just two.

And besides, I’ve read the warnings about longing for the past: the good old days never were all that good. But do you know what is good? Looking to the future.

Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 3:13-14.)

Let’s look to the future in Christ. That’s where the good days are found.

14 Responses to Annette Funicello Didn’t Mickey Mouse Around

1. nmcdonal says:

“Her movies might take us back to a simpler time, but I have to say that I wouldn’t want to go back to those days. The simpler times in her movies were just that, simpler in the movies.” Huh…great point, Tim. .Never thought of it that way.

2. She was about two years older than I am and I did grow up with her. Were the times simpler? Maybe not. I went to San Francisco State for my first two years and at my college and at Berkeley across the bay we had the free speech movement and the beginnings of the sexual revolution. Annette went on to bravely fight MS and her life was not fun. I never believed the reality of the sitcoms on TV or the movies then or now.

Carol, I grew up 10 minutes from the Haight, and remember driving through their during the Summer of Love. Lots of interesting goings on back then!

That’s very true, Tim. Lately my husband and daughter and I have been watching the Andy Griffith Show (I gave my husband the Season 1 dvd’s for Christmas) and we’re totally enjoying it, but you have to recognize it as a very sanitized world. So yes, hankering for some past Golden Age is not always healthy or realistic.

4. They used to have the original Mickey Mouse Club aired at about 6 AM on the Disney Channel when I was 6 (so 1989) and my mom would always tell me about how she loved watching it as a child too (my mom was born in 1950), especially Annette. Then I started watching ALL the Annette Funicello movies in my childhood and teen years. She was great.
    I don’t think Annette knew the Lord. 😦 Hopefully she gave her life to Him in her last days.

5. V.E.G. says:

Annette Funicello lived a full life. By the way, Funicello played with John Ashley, the cousin of a man from Moffat County, Colorado, Richard Dale Atchley. Funicello’s teacher was Jean Seaman, the same last name as the maiden name of a Moffat County woman, Delia Eisenhauer!

6. V.E.G. says:

Let’s tip our hats to Jimmie Dodd, Roy Williams, Bob Amsberry, Annette Funicello, Doreen Tracey, Cheryl Holdridge, Don Agrati, Dickie Dodd, Bonnie Lynn Fields, Charley Laney, Mike Smith, and Tim Rooney have gone to the great Mickey Mouse Club in the sky.

7. V.E.G. says:

Let’s tip our hats to Bruce Gilbert Norman, have gone to the great Mickey Mouse Club in the sky.