The Darkest Sabbath

The Bible has no words of what anyone did that Sabbath following on the heels of Jesus’ murder. Not a single word. We have no record of what the disciples did, who his mother Mary stayed with, how the temple priests went about their duties that day.

Silence.

A Sabbath of silence, as far as we are concerned.

What do you think you’d have done if you were in Jerusalem that week, that Sabbath?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to The Darkest Sabbath

1. nmcdonal says:

I’d like to think I’d be hiding in the upper room with the disciples, door locked; then again, even that takes a bit of gull. Maybe I’d be like Thomas, totally disillusioned by Jesus’ death, wandering aimlessly around Jerusalem!

Earlier when Jesus said he was going to Jerusalem and his friends reminded him that people there wanted to kill him, Thomas is the one who said that they should go with Jesus anyway and if they all die, they all die. I wonder if he spent that Saturday waiting for the temple police to come for him too.

Thomas is one of my heroes.

• nmcdonal says:

Yeah…I see Thomas more as a cynic than anything. He said the same about Jesus going to raise Lazarus. Plus, Thomas had a very hard time with Jesus’ death – he’s the one who speaks for the disciples and says he’s totally confused about Jesus’ saying he’s going away…But either way, Thomas is a good hero, because he comes in at the climax of John’s gospel and gives us the most radical statement of faith in the gospels. Not bad, I’d say.

Tim, your post brought me to tears. I would be doing exactly what I have already done this morning: being cranky and impatient, snapping at my loved ones who need me, feeling disoriented, exhausted. Longing for grace, hoping for the breath of a life that’s greater than mine.

3. It was Passover, so they had lots to do.
    Jesus actually died as the lambs were being slaughtered and prepared for the High Sabbath days and the Passover celebration (which is why Jesus quickly gathered His disciples beforehand since Jesus knew He’d end up missing Passover so He had they prepare a day before it all began to celebrate with His disciples and show them the tie between Passover & Himself so that they could continue to celebrate but in a NEW way of connecting it too). Therefore, considering that we’ve been having Passover the entire week in general in this mindset, we know exactly what they’d be doing on the Sabbath (the Jews of that time). Being the followers of Jesus however, they should have put it all together, but instead I am sure they were all just in deep mourning and cried out and were in hiding and instead were fearful for their lives that this man they believed to be God’s son and followed for three years was now dead. Hopefully the Passover with their friends and families happening would reveal that Jesus was truly as He said. Hopefully it would help them understand and remember that Jesus was going to return from the dead, but they missed it. All the Passover symbolism completely go in line with Jesus and makes it THAT much cooler and more fun (Hebrews 11:28 rings that as true too)!!!

Since the temple’s curtain was torn, I am sure that there was MORE fear in the Pharisees, and that is why in the Bible it states that they actually BROKE their Sabbath by meeting with the “unclean” Pilate to make sure that the tomb was guarded as they really did know Jesus was telling the truth but they had their pride to glorify instead. They were probably in torment. I am sure this is why Paul later says to the Corinthian church (1 Cor. 5:7) about the being a new lump of in cleansing the leaven, because he probably was one of the ones who wanted to make sure Jesus remained dead and leavened bread being “sinfulness” in their symbolism, would just prove that they were ruining their whole bread idea.

So was the Sabbath silent? No! It was filled with torment and earthquakes and zombies (the dead were being raised during the Sabbath after Jesus died, I mean, seriously, there were probably screams of torment there too to see that). Sorry that I disagree with your statement. I think the silence came when the Sabbath ended!

4. “And behold, the curtain of the temple was torn in two, from top to bottom. And the earth shook, and the rocks were split. The tombs also were opened. And many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised, and coming out of the tombs after his resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many. When the centurion and those who were with him, keeping watch over Jesus, saw the earthquake and what took place, they were filled with awe and said, “Truly this was the Son of God!” There were also many women there, looking on from a distance, who had followed Jesus from Galilee, ministering to him, among whom were Mary Magdalene and Mary the mother of James and Joseph and the mother of the sons of Zebedee. Jesus Is Buried. When it was evening, there came a rich man from Arimathea, named Joseph, who also was a disciple of Jesus. He went to Pilate and asked for the body of Jesus. Then Pilate ordered it to be given to him. And Joseph took the body and wrapped it in a clean linen shroud and laid it in his own new tomb, which he had cut in the rock. And he rolled a great stone to the entrance of the tomb and went away. Mary Magdalene and the other Mary were there, sitting opposite the tomb.”
    —–
    [So that was all during the beginning of the High Sabbath for them!
    The Guard at the Tomb]
    —–
    “The next day [High Sabbath day #1], that is, after the day of Preparation [which is was the day Jesus was being killed, which would have been Thursday afternoon, which means the start of their Sabbath was Thursday Night going into Saturday Afternoon – as this makes more sense for it to be that Jesus raised on the 3rd day according to how JEWISH people did their days] , the chief priests and the Pharisees gathered before Pilate and said, “Sir, we remember how that impostor said, while he was still alive, ‘After three days I will rise.’ Therefore order the tomb to be made secure until the third day, lest his disciples go and steal him away and tell the people, ‘He has risen from the dead,’ and the last fraud will be worse than the first.” Pilate said to them, “You have a guard[j] of soldiers. Go, make it as secure as you can.” So they went and made the tomb secure by sealing the stone and setting a guard.”

———–
    So this was from Matthew 27 and things in brackets are from me. Pharisees were not supposed to LEAVE THEIR HOMES on the Sabbath! They were so stirred that they refused to even obey and still wanted to destroy Jesus and were willing to go against the law and be more into their pride’s protection. How intense.

5. sarahtun says:

I honestly don’t know what I would have done. Would I have defended and mourned the crucifixion or would I have been one shouting him down. I don’t know… but I’m glad I Him now.

6. Shalini says:

I think I’d have done exactly the same thing I do now whenever I feel that God didn’t show up the way I wanted Him to. Which is – throw myself a full blown, giant-sized pity party. A party that would have mercifully ended (as it ends even now) when the realization dawns on me that I have a risen Savior!