All the Days of My Life in a Single Moment

Ian McLeod loves his son Cory. There’s nothing unusual about that. But he showed that love by taking a picture of him every day of his life for 21 years. Every single day. For 21 years. And then he created a video of what his son looked like from Day One on.

It’s fun, in an unnerving sort of way, to see Cory grow up before our eyes in mere moments. Yet it also opened my eyes to understand better how God sees me. Every day of my life is constantly before God in eternity. It’s as if he is always seeing them all in a single moment, but not really because that puts eternity in the language of lapsing time; I think God experiences these things differently than do we who experience life merely sequentially, a series of events one after the other without the ability to return to any moment passed.

C.S. Lewis describes it this way in Mere Christianity:

Almost certainly God is not in Time. His life does not consist of moments following one another. If a million people are praying to Him at ten-thirty tonight, He need not listen to them all in that one little snippet which we call ten-thirty. Ten-thirty – and every other moment from the beginning of the world – is always the Present for him.

If Lewis is right about prayer and eternity, then it stands that it applies to our entire lives and God’s ability to see us in eternity. He doesn’t see us in a fast-moving sequence from birth on, like Ian shows us his son in the video; God sees us in all moments all the time (there’s that troublesome word time again).

What really gets me excited as I write this is realizing that God loves me more than I can imagine and therefore actually enjoys seeing all my moments in that eternal-always. I’m excited about that not only because of the love I’ve experienced from God, but because of the love he has allowed me to experience for my own children.

I don’t think I could handle experiencing all the moments of my children’s life at the same time. I don’t think I can handle experiencing even just the wonderful moments I’ve had with them (and I admit some of the non-wonderful moments are much more my fault than theirs). I think it would overwhelm me to experience the love I have for them all at once, with no sequence, no shifting from one experience to another with something else in between.

But God can handle this, of course, because:

God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them. (1 John 4:16.)

And that’s how it is, now and for all eternity.

12 Responses to All the Days of My Life in a Single Moment

1. nmcdonal says:

Teared up reading your post today, Tim – this is exactly what the Lord was communicating to me through my devotions this morning. Thanks.

You’ve warmed my heart, Nick. What a wonderful God we have, loving us through blog posts and devotions and all that happens in our lives.

Beautiful!!! In our human limitedness, we look at other people and our view is coloured by what they’ve done before (“Remember when you …?” “I liked when you…”). But God doesn’t see us that way — as the person who blew it way back when, or the person who’s done x number of good deeds — He loves us all, all we are, all at once. Excuse me while I try to fit that awesome idea into my finite brain — it may take a while.

This is always so hard for me to wrap my head around! That’s what makes God, God!

I know. Trying to get that his eternal love for us is not bounded by time past, present of future, but always is, always has been and will always be. What a humbling experience it is to try to fit these concepts into our limited human vocabulary!

4. That video is SO cool, and also warm and fuzzy. 🙂 What’s also SO cool is to realize and attempt to grasp just how much God loves us. YIKES!

5. Sarah Tun says:

“I don’t think I could handle experiencing all the moments of my children’s life at the same time.” What a poignant way of putting it… the thought sends me to a place I know that, absolutely, I could not handle. The power of that (imagined) experience gives me an awesome reference point from which to try to ‘grasp’ more understanding of God.

6. Really enjoyed this post of how important and special each of God’s children are to Him that He takes the time to take a look at who we are inside and out ad says, “I love you!”