Sunday Funnies – I’ll tell you who you can date!

We were out to dinner the other night with our son. He’s the assistant coach for a couple of 8th grade boys and girls basketball teams and the season just ended, so he and the head coach were having a final get-together with the teams. Apparently our son gave the kids a rule for dating. A rule they did not appreciate.

“You can never date someone younger than half your age plus seven.”

Let’s do the math. That means no dating until you turn 14, and then only dating someone exactly your age because if you tried to date a 15 year old you’d be too young for them: half 15 is 7.5; then you add seven to get 14.5 which is older than someone who just turned 14; which means – by this formula – that the 14 year old is too young for the 15 year old to date. That’s why no one can couple up until both kids are 14 – the rule has to work out for both people.

Since some of the kids are not yet 14, they thought this rule unfair. As a parent of kids who used to be that age, I’d try to find a formula that kept them from dating until they’re 30.

Anyway, the part that really got me was when I decided to do the math for my father, who has been a widower since 1974. He’s 89, so half that is 44.5 and when you add seven you get 51.5. My dad can date someone almost two full years younger than I.

I don’t think I’ll tell my dad about this formula.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Sunday Funnies – I’ll tell you who you can date!

1. Funny…..Thanks for sharing Tim.

2. Adriana says:

HA! Tim — Who knows? If you tell your dad about the formula you could end up being your own grandpa!!! 😀

That’s hilarious! And when the kids complained that the rule was unfair, I hope your son told them “Yeah, well if life is fair, we’re all doomed.” 🙂

4. Jaimie says:

This is funny! 😀 I wasn’t allowed to start dating till I was 16, but didn’t date till I met my now-husband at age 18. 🙂

By the way, have you heard about the Blogging from A to Z Challenge? I think you’d be a great person for it!

Since I have a daughter turning 14 in July, I’m going with your version, Tim 😉

6. Sarah Tun says:

Dating: what a thought. My son had his first crush when he was 18 months old – I’m not kidding! He showed all the signs on infatuation. He chose an kind, attractive eight year old and they eventually became good playmates. Then he went through a phase of not liking girls at all (age 6). Now he’s 8. I don’t know what’s in store but I expect he’ll notice girls soon enough. If you’ve ever seen “LOVE ACTUALLY” … I half expect he’ll be like the boy in that movie who falls in love in (about) sixth grade. I loved how the dad in that film took his son (step son actually – grown up relationships are complicated enough) seriously. I liked that.

7. hehe

“As a parent of kids who used to be that age, I’d try to find a formula that kept them from dating until they’re 30.”

WORD. I do NOT want my daughters to date. EVER.

I also feel so bad for the guys I made my parents suffer through. Ohhh how I pray my daughters are smarter than I ever was!

8. Sarah Tun says:

Wow. They sound very well-adjusted! Incredible, really!

9. ahh. numbers. I can’t do numbers!
    haha.
    I wasn’t allowed to date until I was 16, which considering that’s when I started dating Rob, I think that worked out well enough. We’ll hold the same rule for our sons too, though I’d prefer they date only with the intent to marry anyway or I won’t let them date haha. They can marry at 17 or 18 if they are responsible enough. We’re odd like that.