Is Facebook Annoying?

I thought the headline on this article said New Facebook Browser Plug-in Keeps You Constantly Annoyed. That’s not what it says.

It seems a lot of people have a constant need to stay plugged in. In fact, I’d say it’s innate to almost everyone to one degree or another. I think it’s a spiritual issue, and here’s why.

God created us to be plugged in to him. Sin has broken that connection, so people look for someone or something else to take his place. Jesus offers us a way back to God, a way to be constantly plugged in to our creator.

Which means we are in Christ, the Holy Spirit is in us, and the Father is eternally holding us in his hand.

Talk about being plugged in.

What do you plug into? Does it help you grow in God, or hinder your relationship with him?

23 Responses to Is Facebook Annoying?

1. janehinrichs says:

I guess cause i have learned through the almost 24 years I’ve been a Believer to let go of anything that gets between me and Jesus. But it is a constant re-evaluation process as new things come in. Some things get me closer. Some things have the potential to pull me away — like with social media I make sure how i use it puts Jesus first…but that kind of thing only happens if I do it consciously.

Great point, Jane. Our life in Christ is – among other things – a conscious activity. I think that’s why the Bible says we should renew our minds.

One of God’s very first “recorded statements” is that it’s not good for man to be alone — God, after all, is the first & greatest Community (the Trinity). So yeah it makes sense that we need, even crave, connection. But it’s so easy to forget about the need for connectedness with God. I admit I get a lot more fretful when my router isn’t working for a day (& therefore I’m not “connected”) than when I haven’t connected meaningfully with God for a day! So this is a great reminder: thanks!

Good way to analyze it, Jeannie. What is it that makes us fret? That might be a good indicator of what it is we value most.

• Aimee Byrd says:

I read this article too late. I was overwhelmed this morning with the things I was juggling for the day, and my sick boy throwing a wrench into the plan. There I was, plugging away when I realized that it was like 12:30 and I haven’t even prayed–I was too busy running the world. Ha!

I hope your son is feeling better, Aimee. Your day sounds like it was hugely full. I know what you mean by the “too busy running the world” syndrome too. I’ve been known to succumb to it myself.

3. There have been times in my life when the internet has been a source of distraction, and I just needed to pull the plug… Now I’m finding it to be a source of much-needed fellowship and encouragement. But, oh, I’ve got to be careful…

Taking care goes along with Jesus’ instructions about being shrewd as serpents and gentle as doves, doesn’t it Elena? The internet is one more place to exercise our faith and receive God’s goodness as it comes along, I think.

4. With my iPhone always on hand, I have found that I can truly become addicted to being plugged in to social media. I have also found that those times when I’m at my most compulsive in checking Facebook are some of my driest times spiritually. I totally agree with your main point that our most vital source of being “plugged in” should be to God. Facebook provides many wonderful opportunities to connect with spiritual and physical family, but it is a poor substitute for life in the Vine.

“… life in the Vine.”

What a great turn of phrase, Kim.

• jenn says:

I’m with you, Kim. I probably spend more time with my face in my phone each day than face-to-face with my kids. And it doesn’t build me up or benefit God at all. Imagine if I spent as much time in the Word as I did on Facebook. Oh, the work God could do through me!

5. lauradroege says:

I guess you probably know my feelings about Facebook and being “plugged-in” on social media! It’s been very, very good for me to be off FB/Twitter, even though I’ve missed some of the social interactions that I might have on there.

Great thoughts, as usual, and a great encouragement to be in the Word more often!

Laura, your writings on FB and social media are one of the things that has given me the courage to continue to avoid them!

Tim

P.S. Of course, I’m not averse to a friend tweeting one of my posts if they think it’s worthwhile.
      😉

6. KSP says:

I am drunk on the social networking Kool Aid. I admit it. I try to be conscious and wary of its pitfalls, but I believe the benefits far outweigh the risks when used with discernment and measure. I can put a question out there or a need and within minutes have it answered or solved by my Facebook peeps. I love that. And I do love being connected.

(And I find Facebook less intrusive in real life than the continuous texting going on with my niece who visited over Thanksgiving. For her generation, texting is really where they live. Facebook is already “quaint” to her.

My kids are the same as your niece. Their communication is at whatever the latest and fastest mode offers. I haven’t jumped to Facebook myself like you have (quaint or not) but then again I’m an old guy and you’re just a whippersnapper, Karen.

Luddites unite.

Tim

7. KSP says:

On Facebook. 😉

8. Facebook has been a hindrance for a long time with me and God. I’ve taken many breaks from the site. Everyone just seems angry on facebook but I use it mainly for my photography so I can get more business. :: sigh ::
    I think Church, friends, strangers, family, and the Word of God keeps me closest to Him.

9. Facebook doesn’t ever help me feel connected to God. It makes me sad and makes me angry most of the time. I actually deleted my entire facebook (friends, pictures, everything) and made a new one to start fresh with about 500 less friends than I had. Still I don’t like it and just use it for posting photography and connecting with the youth group kids. I think life was much nicer before facebook.

The way you experienced Facebook is the same feelings I’ve gotten from reading some blogs. I had to stop clicking on them, even though they had good insights on faith, because of the tone. Too incendiary for me.

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )