In-Flight Safety Tips From Hobbits, Wizards and Elves

We have a hard time listening to the same old thing over and over again. I know I paid no attention to the flight attendant giving the safety talk when I flew to San Diego and back the end of last month. After all, I always fly the same airline and they only fly 737s, and their safety talk hasn’t changed in years. I think I would have paid attention to this though:

(Why did they not ask Gwaihir for advice? Oh well, these gentlefolk seem to have a handle on staying safe in the air.)

Here’s the thing about warnings: people tend to think that just because something hasn’t happened yet, that means it won’t happen at all:

They will say, “Where is this ‘coming’ he promised? Ever since our ancestors died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation.” (2 Peter 3:4.)

It’s true that time passes, but this is why:

Bear in mind that our Lord’s patience means salvation. (2 Peter 3:15.)

So what does that mean for us? It means:

Therefore, dear friends, since you have been forewarned, be on your guard. (2 Peter 3:17.)

The bottom line? Warnings are good. They help us avoid dangers. Even more importantly, they help us:

… grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. (2 Peter 3:18.)

That is a message worth listening to, even if it isn’t delivered by hobbits, wizards and elves.

12 Responses to In-Flight Safety Tips From Hobbits, Wizards and Elves

That’s not only precioussssssssssss but an excellent reminder against complacency.

Good point, Jeannie. It’s amazing how people get complacency and satisfaction mixed up. Our only satisfaction is in Jesus, yet we are not to become complacent in our relationship with him.

I suspect the best warning, that can be applied in a spiritual manner as well, is “Caution, objects in the mirror are closer than they appear.”

3. I don’t know how people will listen though. Even after having miracle after miracle (the parting of the red sea, the pillar of cloud/smoke, jericho, etc.) people wouldn’t believe. Even after having Jesus raised from the dead, people wouldn’t believe. Why would people believe warnings today that come from an old text? The only way is to pray for our eyes to see and our ears to hear — and praying this for others as well. We can shout, we can make intellectual statements, but ultimately, it is God who will grant us wisdom to see and understand.

Exactly. Jesus said the only sign that would really count is the sign of Jonah (Jesus’ death and resurrection) and Paul said that people knew the truth about God but rejected it anyway. It truly is only by the Spirit that we are able to respond to God.

4. janehinrichs says:

Liked the video. Funny and effective.

5. Lyndsay says:

Tim I laughed! We fly to New Zealand shortly!! This video was so timely.

Apparently they have a whole bunch of these highly creative safety videos, Lindsay. I know I saw another one a year or so ago.

I flew Air New Zealand once from London to Los Angeles. It was when they were first starting to go to Auckland on a westward route, having already established the eastbound schedule. Since they were just getting it going, the flight was fairly inexpensive. Their service was impeccable, and they served roast lamb for dinner, yummy!

Hope you have a great trip. Is it for business or pleasure?*

Tim

*They’ll probably ask you that at customs when you land, so this is like prepping for a pop quiz. Just a little service here at the train wreck that you won’t find on just any old blog.

• Lyndsay says:

That is awesome Tim! We are headed for pleasure only, and I am really looking forward to escaping our winter for warmer weather! (Our region has been hit early, its cold, and the snow isn’t going to leave anytime soon). Love the customs prep service you provide! That is what I call blog service!

Really looking forward to the flight (I hear really great things!). We are going via LAX too, so it should be a great trip. Haven’t flown through that airport yet 🙂 Will miss the daily thoughts from a few blogs, we are taking a wifi holiday too! All our best in the coming Christmas season (oh, and Happy Thanksgiving).