Here’s to Us!

My favorite Scottish toast:

Here’s tae us
Wha’s like us
Damn few,
And they’re a’ deid
Mair’s the pity!

Why are we drawn to like-minded people? I think it has to do with how God made us. We are designed to be like-minded. Peter and Paul even encouraged it as part of our relationship with God and his people. Of course it’s also possible to be like-minded in a bad way. Just take a look at what Jesus had to say to a group that thought they had it all figured out. They were like-minded all right, but not in a good way.

There’s no secret to the right way to be like-minded. It’s all over the pages of the Bible, passage after passage. This sums it up nicely:

May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you the same attitude of mind toward each other that Christ Jesus had, so that with one mind and one voice you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. (Romans 15:5-6.)

We are to have the same mind toward each other that Jesus had, so that our thoughts and actions (mind and voice) glorify God. It’s that simple. If what we think and do glorifies God, then our minds are right. If we are with others who are doing the same, then we are rightly like-minded.

So can we really say, “Here’s to us and those like us”? We can if what we mean is that we are with those who are with us in glorifying God.

You see, it’s not really a matter of getting together and saying “Here’s to us” at all. It’s a matter of joining together to say “Here’s to God!”

Or, as John tells us:

Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, saying:

“To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, for ever and ever!” (Revelation 5:13.)

Now that’s a toast worth repeating.

What type of people are you most like-minded with?

When is it appropriate to seek out people who are not like-minded with you in spiritual matters?

My thanks to Anne at Modern Mrs. Darcy for starting me thinking on this subject with her post here.

12 Responses to Here’s to Us!

1. This post made me think of what a blessing it is to have a dear friend who you so understand and can just be yourself with — that soul to soul connection. That has happened to me once or twice in life. It is a beautiful thing. The other thing that is precious is when you are worshipping with other believers and God’s presence envelopes everyone. That is truly heaven on earth — can’t wait for that when we get there!

Those are both great examples, Jane. Fellowship in Christ is a wonderful blessing, whether it’s a David and Jonathan type of godly friendship like you describe or it’s in a larger body led by the Spirit. Awesome stuff.

2. LOVE that Scottish toast!

Of course it’s important to gather with other believers to say “here’s to God!” (Great description.)
    But I’ve also made an effort to structure my life so that my community isn’t exclusively composed of Christians.

Tim, I’d love to hear YOUR thoughts on your parting shot! Maybe in a future post?

The quick answer is that I can’t help being surrounded by non Christians. The nature of my work means the people around me are a mixed bag. I have to be purposeful in how I conduct myself, since everything I do is under scrutiny. It’s impossible to fly under the radar from up on the bench.

3. bekster081305 says:

I have a tendency to gravitate towards people who, like me, are just a little bit cynical and who push back a little bit against the status quo. This can be good in situations where something actually needs to change and we all need to rally ourselves to do something. For example, a few years ago my Sunday school class read “Crazy Love” by Francis Chan and we were all inspired to BE Christ followers instead of just warming pews. However, when I get together with this type of person, bad things can also happen. Sometimes I get really angry about legalism in the Church, and when I get together with others who feel the same way, despite our original intentions, it can turn into a Church-bashing session. In those cases, it is really good when I can then get together with people who are a little more spiritually “old school” than I am. Sometimes I need the other extreme to get me back on track. (In all of this, the people I am referring to are all Christians, but I am more “like-minded” with some Christians than with others, even though I have love for them all.)

4. Hmm. Great first question. I guess I’m most like-minded with young Christian mommies who have a Reformed foundational understanding of scripture but can’t help but lean to the left sometimes.

Many of my close friends, though, are not married, with child, or even Christian. I treasure their friendships because I can be incredibly open about my faith and still learn from them what wounds they carry from the Christian church. I don’t want to be surrounded only by Christians, because then I lose sight of how the world views us and how we can do a better job of loving those who do not yet know Christ.

I love the contrast between you first and second paragraphs, Rachel. And your conclusion points out one of the best reasons for us to seek out non Christians.

I like how C.S. Lewis talks about your “bigger” circle and your “inner” circle of friends. I would say that my tightest circle is with those who reflect deeply on the things of Christ, and who also know what a “train wreck” I am, but love me nonetheless 🙂

6. I don’t like saying with language I don’t approve of. . .but I’ll try to shrug it off as I usually try to do. I have always had a hard time to make friends in general and to find ones that are like-minded are rare but always appreciated. I think I am most like-minded to. . well I don’t know. Heavily convicted people who want to grow and admit they are sinful, mainly. I also am like-minded with people in general who want to fight oppression and injustice.

That’s a great pairing of like-mindedness, I think. Spiritually like-minded in convictions, and also in step with those who fight injustice even if they are not aware of what a godly pursuit that is. Wonderful, Victoria.