Radio Rejects

Compiled for your consideration is a short list of rejected ideas for radio programs :

Dial-up Modem Symphonies

Mollusks, Tubers and Inert gases – a conspiracy?

Meeting of the Mimes

Huh … I wonder why they never caught on?

Back in high school and college I had a couple of stints as a radio DJ.  If it hadn’t been for the fact that I was willing to work for free I never would have made it onto those extremely small stations. It was fun, but I don’t know if I could have made it as a professional. Like writing, radio’s a tough medium to get into. At least it’s tough to make a living at it. Profitable radio is elusive.

Jesus tells us of a way to make a profit that lasts a lot longer than a paycheck, though. It’s called following him:

Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me and for the gospel will save it. What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul? If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his Father’s glory with the holy angels.” (Mark 8:34-38.)

When Jesus asks what someone could possibly give in exchange for his or her own soul, he’s pointing out that getting in good with God is beyond our bank account, beyond our abilities. But it is not beyond the realm of possibilities.

Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath. But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith – and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God – not by works, so that no one can boast. (Ephesians 2:3-9.)

It’s all about God’s grace, giving us a right relationship with him even though what we deserve under our own efforts is wrath, so that we don’t have to work hard or come up with great plans or earn our way to heaven or anything. In Jesus, God expresses kindness, not wrath. And did you notice how this passage speaks of God’s work in his people as already having happened? God’s people are already raised up with Jesus and already seated with him in the heavenly realms!

There may be times when you feel as worthless and out-of-place as those awful ideas for radio programs up above, but God never considers you worthless (Romans 8:1) and you always have a place with him. (John 10:27-30.) Satan wants to tell you differently – to accuse you of being worthless, a bad idea, a reject – but he is a liar and the father of lies. (John 8:44.) Don’t listen to him! Turn to the one who gives freely and without finding any fault in you whatsoever, our loving heavenly Father. (James 1:5.)

The Lord our God is eternally awesome, and he thinks you are eternally wonderful.

Questions to consider:

How would your life look different if you always remembered in each moment of the day that God loves you unconditionally and never condemns you?

What would people think about God if they saw his people living out this incredible love?

12 Responses to Radio Rejects

1. That first question Tim is a good one — boy, the enemy loves to convince God’s kids that He isn’t pleased with them, that God really is just mad at them or punishing them or something! Sometimes I have found in my own life that the biggest thing that needs to change is my view of God. He is good so very good. He isn’t “Well it’s for my own good” kind of good either. He is really and truly incredibly good and kind and wow, if we grasp how much He loves and delights in us we would have a hard time getting up and doing anything because we would be so feeling the love….!

2. bekster081305 says:

Guilt can be such a paralyzing force, so I think that if we really leaned on God’s love and grace daily we would be freed up to go on and do the good God wants us to do (which is, basically, to love people). If we all lived this way and others saw it, I think we would be functioning the way that God intended for us to function, and I believe that God blesses stuff like that.

Great points, Becky! Plus, I think we’d not only be freed up to do the good God wants us to do but the more we do that good the more we’d actually want to do that good.

3. If I could remember the fullness of God’s love every second of the day, I would be more grateful. I think I find so many things to worry over, so many things to wish for, that I forget to be content in all circumstances. Even more than that, I forget what God has done for me! I forget His love! Life would be glorious if I could remember and live within the reality. I think I’m gonna start praying for that. 🙂

4. Astamarina says:

“How would your life look different if you always remembered in each moment of the day that God loves you unconditionally and never condemns you?” I would not hide like Adam and Eve in the garden, and I would live in the restored relationship that God has offered. It is easy to say, but hard to do perfectly, because Satan tempts us even with our shame. I would also remember to give thanks for the many good gifts God has given me—which all too often I forget to thank him for.

“What would people think about God if they saw his people living out this incredible love?” Let me first say what I think they would think of US: They would think we are crazy. Some would be drawn to us, some would ridicule us, some shrug their shoulders at us. “For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God” (1 Cor. 1:18, ESV). But what would people think about GOD? I’m not sure; some would be drawn to him, because in showing his love, we would love them even when they don’t deserve it. We would give to them even when it hurts. And that kind of love really can help change a heart.

And I will add one more question: What would it LOOK like if we lived out God’s incredible love? I am convicted by C. S. Lewis’s The Weight of Glory: we would not look at other people merely as people, but as eternal souls. We would be horrified at the thought that sometimes we have not cared enough how people, even our friends, are going to spend eternity. We sometimes have not even cared about how they are going to spend that very day on earth, much less their eternity!

Your second point reminded me that this is how people saw Jesus. He lived out the incredible love of God and some people thought he was crazy and others thought he was who he said he was.

That hiding thing in your first answer got me too. We know God loves us always, we know he is with us always, yet we end up doing things that we think we want to hide from him. As Jim Morrison said, “People are strange.”

On your last point, I love how Lewis pointed out that if we could see people in their eternal state we’d either shrink back in abject horror or be tempted to fall down and worship. As he put it, we’ve never met a mere mortal. I think it is our limited sight and experience that contributes to our lack of concern for how others will spend eternity, or even how they will spend the next day. Pride and selfishness play their parts as well, I suppose.

5. housewifetheologian says:

Great third point, Astamarina. I love that line from Lewis.
    The first thing I thought of with your first question, Tim, was that we would take more risks because we would not fear man. And that reminds me of your first article 🙂

We would take more risks, wouldn’t we Aimee? It’s like that line from Psalm 56:11 – “… in God I trust and am not afraid. What can man do to me?”

Answer: Nothing, nada, zip, zilch, bupkis. That’s pretty good news, too.

6. I think life would be a bit easier if I thought and focused more on how God loves me unconditionally, but I know too many people who know that God loves them that much that they take advantage of His grace through that knowledge. I think if people PAID ATTENTION, they’d see that God loves them daily through little things, but they don’t want to do that. They like pushing Him aside or they don’t really seek Him out to see where He is showing them love.

Random but goes in line with the beginning of your post: Rob was a part of the high school radio hosting too. He had the most popular show and it was fun.

Interesting that you put it that way, Victoria, because I was just reading last night the same thing in R.C. Sproul’s “The Holiness of God”. He was making the point that sanctification begins immediately upon justification, and that if a person lives a life that exhibits no progress in sanctification it is a good indicator that they might not be justified in the first place, that is, they don’t actually belong to God.

I especially like how you said “God loves them daily through little things” too. That is such a powerful message that people need to hear.

And yay for Rob’s radio past: DJs Unite!

Tim